Suresh Raina finds a guiding star in Sourav Ganguly

Suresh-Raina

Suresh Raina had been a mainstay in India’s ODI batting line-up for the last few years, received a jolt when he was left out of the Asia Cup squad following a spade of low scores.

The left-hander decided to use this time for self-assessment and seek a guiding hand that could lead him back in form ahead of the World Twenty20. He found the perfect mentor in former India captain and left-handed batsman, Sourav Ganguly.

"Ganguly gave me confidence and told me to work on my strength. He reminded me how well I had done in ODIs before and told me to play the same aggressive game that made me successful,” Raina said of Ganguly’s advice to a leading India daily. “It does feel good when such a great player has so many good things to say about your game," Raina said.

While admitting the disappointment of being dropped from the team, Raina also drew motivation from the situation to improve himself for the 20-over World Championship.

"This T20 World Cup is going to be the stepping stone for the 50-over World Cup in a year's time,” he said. “If we do well and go on to win it here, it's going to be a huge boost to our confidence. As for me, if I do well and have a good IPL after that, it will help me come back into reckoning for ODIs."

Talking about his different roles in T20s and one-day games, Raina said batting high in the order in the shortest format gives him more time at the crease.

"In T20 cricket, more often than not, I have gone out to bat early. It has allowed me the time to get settled and play some crucial innings. That's something I would like to do in one-dayers as well, as and when I get the chance again."

source: bcci.tv

For the latest India Cricket news, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story behind Yusuf Pathan jersey No. '999'

Rohit Sharma 264 Runs - Report: India vs Sri Lanka, 4th ODI, Eden Gardens, Kolkata

INDIA v PAKISTAN 1ST ODI ᴴᴰ FULL HIGHLIGHTS, CHENNAI, 30 DEC 2012