Darren Bravo Interview about his ODI batting

Darren-Bravo-INDIA-vs-WEST-INDIES-1st-ODI-2013

Whoever has first laid their eyes on young Darren Bravo, has earmarked him for greatness. It is, therefore, that he is judged by a yardstick that is higher than what some his other colleagues are measured on. (Also Read: Report: India vs West Indies - 1st ODI, Kochi, 2013)
While his performance in Test cricket has been pretty decent with an average of 42 and a fifty per-cent conversion rate (he has four centuries and eight fifties), in the ODIs, he has been found wanting in that regards. After 66 matches, Bravo has a solitary hundred and 13 half-centuries – the last of which he scored in the first match of the series against India in Kochi. (Also Read: Stats Highlights: India vs West Indies - 1st ODI, Kochi, 2013)
He got out stumped for 59 and West Indies lost by eight wickets with 88 balls to spare. After the match, Bravo spoke tobcci.tv about his ODI batting, the areas that need improvement and the team’s performance on the whole.
A little relieved to get your first 50-plus score in the tour?
It’s a good feeling but having said that, I should have gone on to bat till the end for the team. I tried but it didn’t work out. It is, however, important for us to keep our focus intact, believe in ourselves and look forward to the next game.
This was your 13th ODI fifty and you have only one century. This conversion rate doesn’t sound right for someone with your talent.
That is something that has been bothering me for sometime now. I think rotating the strike is something I need to learn to do better. I have scored hundreds so I know I can do it. But in order to do it consistently, I need to work on some aspects of my game. It may take some time but it is also important that I learn quickly.
Dwayne Bravo said yesterday that West Indies are more comfortable in the shorter formats. Why is it so?
I think it’s a matter of concentration. If you see most players in our lineup have destructive batting styles and we need to learn how to concentrate while batting for long hours. Also, I think winning the World Twenty20 has made us more comfortable with the shorter formats.
Amid the flamboyance, you are the classical batsman. Do you fancy the Test format more?
I enjoy batting in all formats but I believe that Test arena is my forte. But I also believe that I have the capabilities and the talent to perform in any situation and any format.
Is having separate captains for different formats a good or a bad thing?
I think it’s a good thing because it brings freshness in the team. Majority of teams are doing that these days and it has worked for most. Also, it doesn’t matter if the captains are different. All it matters is that all players come together and care for each other and the team.
What is the similarity and difference between Darren Sammy and Dwayne Bravo?
The similarity is that both of them play the game in the right spirit. The difference is that Dwayne is a little bit more attacking. But at the end of the day we try to play as a team and not much changes with that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story behind Yusuf Pathan jersey No. '999'

Rohit Sharma 264 Runs - Report: India vs Sri Lanka, 4th ODI, Eden Gardens, Kolkata

INDIA v PAKISTAN 1ST ODI ᴴᴰ FULL HIGHLIGHTS, CHENNAI, 30 DEC 2012