Was trying not to bowl outside off: Ravindra Jadeja

Ravindra-Jadeja-India-vs-Australia-Star-Sports-1st-ODI-2013

Even as the Indian bowling attack was getting clobbered by Australian batsmen in the first ODI, Ravindra Jadeja emerged as the most economical of the hosts’ bowlers with an economy rate of 3.50. He even gave his team its first breakthrough. Jadeja went about his task methodically as he bowled to the on song opposition batsmen and reaped the benefits for his disciplined efforts. The left-arm spinner sent back Phillip Hughes to end the opening stand for 110 and continued to pose a few questions to the other batsmen. (Also Read: Report: India vs Australia Star Sports 1st ODI 2013)
While speaking to bcci.tv, the unassuming all-rounder talked about the key to bowling to the Australians and stemming the flow of runs.
Excerpts from his interview:
When you come in to bowl in the middle overs batsmen are looking to hit and go for runs. How do you prepare for that?
It depends on how the wicket behaves. If there is turn, then accordingly I try to bowl a bit slow. Today the wicket was slow and there wasn’t that much turn; I was trying to bowl in the good areas. They cut, pull and sweep well, so I was trying not to bowl to them outside the off-stump and bowl at the stumps.
Tell us about the first breakthrough and how crucial was that wicket?
It was very important for the team because the opening partnership was worth 110 and at that time getting a wicket was important. We got a good wicket and then we were able to hold back the scoring a bit in the middle; we didn’t give away too many boundaries. We will try to get early breakthroughs in the next match and if we get one or two wickets initially, they we will be able to create pressure.
How did you work to turn things around after being a bit expensive in a few matches in between?
It was a different situation, a different format – Twenty20 format and the conditions were different too. There was dew and ball couldn’t be gripped properly. Today afternoon there was no dew and the ball could be gripped well, so that makes a difference. It becomes easy for the batsmen to hit the spinners in those conditions where there is dew.
But I had confidence in myself and backed myself and would tell myself that I am doing well (have to do well). And today also I thought about the good bowling that I have done for India in the past and bowled with a positive attitude.
What has been MS Dhoni and Joe Dawes’ advice to you?
As the situation kept changing, like when Australia lost a few wickets in the middle, they told me to just bowl normally and not think too much about doing anything different. And I was trying to bowl normally. When a team loses a couple of wickets quickly, like they lost Phillip Hughes and Shane Watson back-to-back, then any team comes under a bit of pressure. So I was trying to bowl normally and trying to ensure that I don’t give away boundaries.
They (Dhoni and Dawes) back me and tell me what improvements can be done and what I should be doing as we move forward. When I am bowling well, they don’t tell me to make too many changes and just ask me to keep that rhythm going.
Any exchanges with Yuvraj Singh that have helped you as an all-rounder?
I have been watching him since childhood. He is my idol and I have been watching him bat, bowl and field. In the last match – the T20I at Rajkot – he batted really well. So I learnt that in a situation like that one should try to take the game to the end. If you play till the last over, you can win the game.
When the other bowlers were being hit for runs, you were able to bowl more economically. What was the key to your bowling?  
It is important to bowl in the right areas. If you bowl outside the off-stump or outside the leg-stump, you are likely to be hit. And then there is the rule of having five players inside the circle, which has to be kept in mind while bowling and (we need to) bowl accordingly. (During the non-Powerplay overs, a maximum of four fielders can be placed outside the circle – a reduction from the earlier five.)
How much difference does this rule make?
It makes a lot of difference because sometimes the batsman is set or sometimes the powerplay is on or even if you are bowling after the powerplay, to bowl to a set batsman where the ball isn’t spinning, it is a bit tough.
source: bcci.tv

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story behind Yusuf Pathan jersey No. '999'

Rohit Sharma 264 Runs - Report: India vs Sri Lanka, 4th ODI, Eden Gardens, Kolkata

INDIA v PAKISTAN 1ST ODI ᴴᴰ FULL HIGHLIGHTS, CHENNAI, 30 DEC 2012