Glenn Maxwell: Glad I Earned My Money Today

Dinesh-Karthik-Glen-Maxwell-MUMBAI-INDIANS-WIN-CLT20-2013

Many eyebrows were raised by the Mumbai Indians’ willingness to cough up a whopping USD 1 million for Glenn Maxwell at the 2013 IPL Player Auction. The surprised voices got louder with each match of IPL 2013 that Maxwell sat out – he played three matches in a tournament that MI went on to win. (Also Read: Anil Kumble Renews Love Affair With Feroz Shah Kotla)

CLT20 2013 started on a similar note, as the Million-Dollar Man’s name was missing from the MI playing XI in their first two matches. He played against the Perth Scorchers and was again dropped in the semi-final. So, when he found himself at the crease in the final, against the Rajasthan Royals, Maxwell latched on to the chance with both hands. (Also Read: Kieron Pollard: Fantastic To Win Two Championships In One Year)

Coming in at No.6, he smashed 37 off 14 balls to change the game in MI’s favour. Those runs made the difference in the end as MI defeated RR by 33 runs. (Also Read: Sachin Tendulkar: All My Dreams Have Come True)

While still soaking in the feeling of winning his second tournament with MI, Maxwell shared his experience with clt20.com.

Excerpts from his post-game interview:

What feels better in your hands – a million-dollar cheque or two trophies in one year?

(Laughs) Two trophies, comfortably. Money is not a way; money comes after playing well and I am happy to earn my money rather than taking it from the auction. Today is a great feeling and I would much rather have the trophies than the cash. 

You saved your best for the big occasion

I didn’t have a choice; didn’t really play too many games this tournament, so it was nice to get a crack. I had fun hitting a few balls out of the park.

Did you specifically enjoy knocking fellow Australian James Faulkner around the park today?

(Laughs) I have faced him a bit at the nets, so it was nice to get one up on him for this time.

What was the reason behind you opening the bowling today?

We just felt that it was a spinning wicket. The wicket here normally spins quite a bit and opening the bowling with spin generally works here. We did get a wicket in that over, albeit not off my bowling (Kusal Perera was run-out in the first over).

How would you summarize your time with the Mumbai Indians so far in two to three words?

Extremely enjoyable. Lovely people.

You will be staying back here for the ODI series. Will this experience give you a head start?

Definitely. I have had a lot of training time here and it has put myself in good stead. I am hitting the ball well. I am in a good mind frame for the one-day series and hopefully that means more runs and wickets.

What was your reaction when you were in the same room with Sachin Tendulkar for the first time?

The first time I was in the same room with Sachin Tendulkar, I was also in the same room with Ricky Ponting. It is pretty surreal to have two legends of the game around me. We were lucky to have them both with Mumbai Indians and it is a pretty incredible feeling for a young cricketer to be a part of that. Sachin is just an amazing guy to be around and I feel very lucky.

source: clt20.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story behind Yusuf Pathan jersey No. '999'

Rohit Sharma 264 Runs - Report: India vs Sri Lanka, 4th ODI, Eden Gardens, Kolkata

INDIA v PAKISTAN 1ST ODI ᴴᴰ FULL HIGHLIGHTS, CHENNAI, 30 DEC 2012