Ranji Trophy Performance is the reason for selection: Mohit Sharma

Mohit-Sharma
He was touted as the 'find of IPL VI' but 24-year-old Mohit Sharma believes that his two seasons of hardwork in the Ranji Trophy has paid dividends rather than his 20 wickets in the cash-rich league.

"IPL has got me recognition but my 44 wickets in 11 Ranji Trophy matches is the reason that I have received the biggest news in my cricketing career. I owe it to my state Haryana which has given me everything. Had I not done well in Ranji Trophy for two consecutive seasons, I wouldn't have played IPL and not even got selected in the team," an emotional Mohit told PTI today after being selected in the Indian team. (Also Read: India Squad for Zimbabwe Tour 2013)

Mohit attributed his success to the off-season training for Haryana which on his own admission has helped him a lot. (Also Reead: India tour of Zimbabwe-2013 Schedule & Fixtures)

"Our secretary Aniruddh Chaudhary was instrumental in organizing off-season camps for the Haryana team prior to the start of the last two seasons. I have understood that for a pacer, off-season training is more important which helps you to sustain a long and hard season. It's the off-season where a bowler irons out his flaws," he said.

"To add to it, Lahli's track is one of the best in India for pace bowling. The infrastructure that Haryana provided us has helped me come so far," he added.

Ask about his strength, Mohit replies,"My strength is to bowl outswingers consistently and bowling to a channel. That has been key to my success and I will continue doing that."

The experience of sharing the dressing room with Mahendra Singh Dhoni has also helped him evolve as a cricketer.

"Mahi bhai always told me to keep things simple. He is someone who would tell you to keep cool which is key to controlling a particular match situation. He did that by example and that is something that I will like to follow at whichever level of cricket I play," Mohit concluded.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story behind Yusuf Pathan jersey No. '999'

Rohit Sharma 264 Runs - Report: India vs Sri Lanka, 4th ODI, Eden Gardens, Kolkata

INDIA v PAKISTAN 1ST ODI ᴴᴰ FULL HIGHLIGHTS, CHENNAI, 30 DEC 2012