Playoffs spot still in our grasp: Jacques Kallis

Jacques-Kallis-KKR-vs-RR-IPL-2013

In what possibly could have been the Knight Riders’ final game at the Eden Gardens (given the volatile playoffs scenario), the crowd was given a lot of reason to cheer its heart out for a side, they have supported loyally all these years. 

Yusuf Pathan who had his back against the wall, brought up a match-winning knock during the game. Mean while one of KKR’s most dependable players, Jacques Kallis, gave much needed support with bat and the ball, and at the end of it all the Knight Riders recorded a convincing eight wicket-victory against the Rajasthan Royals on Friday. 

Satisfied, relieved and laced with smiles, KKR walked off the field hopeful of making it to the business end of the tournament. Ask KKR’s ‘Mr. Dependable’, Jacques Kallis about it and with a calm smile on his face he will say that his side is still alive in the tournament. 

In a chat with IPLT20.com Kallis talked about Yusuf’s match winning-knock, his team’s chances in the tournament and his personal attachment with the Knight Riders. 

Here are excerpts from the interview.

How satisfying a win is this after a series of losses in the competition?

It is indeed a good win to have under the belt. The pressure was on us to perform and I feel the guys delivered. We spoke about playing smart cricket and we were terrific with both bat and ball. We backed ourselves and I guess it showed on the field today.

When you win just three out of ten games, how difficult is it to comeback and perform?

The guys were always motivated and we have always applied ourselves, but unfortunately we were not winning games. We have not played as bad as people think this season. We just lost a few close games that could have turned our season around, but it is important to do what we are doing at the moment; that is focus on winning games. Who knows, if we still win all our remaining games, the semis are still in our grasp. Our first aim though, is to qualify for the Play Offs and then take it from there.

Your take on Yusuf Pathan’s innings?

Yusuf batted brilliantly. To strike a ball as well as he did on a wicket like that is commendable. That is the reason why Pathan is so important in our squad. It is good to see that he has got his confidence back towards the end of the season; probably the perfect timing for us and hope he helps us to win a few more games.

When a match winner like Yusuf underperforms, how does the team motivate him to do well? 

Yusuf has always backed himself and practiced hard. He covers his basis and obviously the way he plays he might not be as consistent like the few other guys, but that is the kind of role that Yusuf has in the team. He has to play freely like he did and I have no doubts that he will take a lot of confidence from this knock. 

You have seen the game changing and evolving, how difficult is it for you to change your game with changing formats? 

I feel it is pretty easy. We change formats so often these days, it is just a matter of adapting and then changing your mindset. It is just a matter of getting two or three practices sessions for me to get into the mode of that particular format.

Close to two decades for you in the game now, how do you keep yourself fit?

(Laughs) You know I have put in the hard work. I have tried my best to get myself fit and stay fit. I have been fortunate that I have not had too many injuries in my career. I also feel lucky that I have got a body type which is quite supple as well. It is all about putting the hard work behind the scenes.

Your all round capabilities are much valued by KKR, is it fair to call you KKR’s Mr. Dependable? 

I do not know about that, but I think there are plenty of match winners in the team. I am just fortunate that I am able to contribute with both bat and ball. I enjoy doing both of them and as long as I can continue to do both of them for KKR, I will be a happy man.

How close are you to the KKR franchise?

I am very attached to the Kolkata Knight Riders. You know, winning the tournament last year has been one of the highlights of my career. I have got special memories with the team and have a fantastic family here. I have enjoyed every minute here and it will be nice if we can get into the semis and try and win back to back trophies. It is everyone’s target in the team and one of my targets too.

source: iplt20.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story behind Yusuf Pathan jersey No. '999'

Rohit Sharma 264 Runs - Report: India vs Sri Lanka, 4th ODI, Eden Gardens, Kolkata

INDIA v PAKISTAN 1ST ODI ᴴᴰ FULL HIGHLIGHTS, CHENNAI, 30 DEC 2012