Plan was to keep wickets intact: Badrinath #PWI vs CSK

Numbers don’t always tell the story of an innings and Subramaniam Badrinath‘s knock against Pune Warriors India at the Subrata Roy Sahara Stadium on Tuesday is one such incidence. Involved in a 75-run partnership with Suresh Raina, the middle-order bat helped the Chennai Super Kings’ set-up the game against PWI. His 31-ball 34 was vital in laying the foundation for batsmen later to accelerate and set a competitive target for the hosts. 

Subramaniam-Badrinath-PWI-vs-CSK-IPL-2013

The 32-year old bat who is a reliable player in any line-up has got few opportunities to display his skills with the willow this season. Tuesday was one such day and Badrinath rose to the occasion, holding up one end and running quick singles and two’s, supporting Suresh Raina as they worked to strengthen their position in the points table in quest for a third title.  

In a free flowing interview with iplt20.com along the boundary ropes after the thumping victory, Badrinath reflected on the match and spoke about his idol and learning from him.

Excerpts:

Good to get an opportunity to bat?

Yes! Getting to bat after three games it felt was good to get some time in the middle, good to get some runs. And it is good that the result went our way as well. 

Michael Hussey has been getting runs at the top of the order, was there a change of plan after he got out early and CSK lost both the openers early in the innings? What was your role?

We assessed the wicket to be a bit slow and low and it was not easy to play shots so I and Raina decided to stay on for a while and take our time. Even if it was a run a ball it was fine, but not to lose wickets and keep rotating strike and keep going on. We know that with the power hitters behind us we could make up. Keeping wickets was the key and for us. 

Did you also want to smash a few balls?

(Smiles) Yes definitely! I just tried. But I was pretty upset that I got out because I and Raina had decided that even when we got some time to just keep it going on. It was difficult for a new batsman to come in and score runs straight away but MS is in tremendous form. He just came in and smashed every ball. I think he is in tremendous touch and his confidence is showing the way he is playing. It all worked out well. 

Tell us what is it about your captain and hitting sixes off the last ball whether chasing a target or setting one? What is his thought process?

I honestly don’t know what he thinks. I know is he thinks and keeps thing simple. He goes in with a clear mind. He just watches the ball and hits the ball. At the end of the day when you keep it simple that’s when you become a good finisher. 

Had the wicket eased later or was it just good batting by MS and Raina later?

I wouldn’t say so but early on the new ball was cutting a bit off the seam but as the game went on it was getting a little slower but I don’t think it got much easier or anything. They were bowling a lot of cross-seams and off-breaks and slow bowling which was actually a little tough to get off the ground. But Dhoni is a power-player and his game, with his bottom hand is to get under the ball. So I think that sort of game really suits this kind of wickets as well. 

You have got out in the mid 30s on a few occasions you got to bat so what is it that you would be working on? 

Scores of 30s are decent enough in T20s but still I want to get 50s and take the team along with me. I have been wanting to get 50s and see the innings through with my batting. That is what I want to do and I am aiming at. That is why I was not satisfied with my knock. I wanted to keep going on and finish well for the team. But, as has been happening, this season that I have been getting out in the 30s. But I hope the good one comes around the corner soon. 

Michael Hussey also plays a lot along the ground and also runs a lot of ones and twos, have you had a chat with him about batting? What have you learnt from him?

I have always had chats with him, pretty long chats. We are similar type of cricketers so it makes more sense to learn from him rather than any other cricketer. The way he approaches the game, and the way finishes games is one of the reasons I am not getting to bat. Spending time with him in the dressing room, every moment I always keep learning from him. Not only this year but over the last five years! 

Anything specific that you would like to share?

I think it is more about enjoying your cricket and backing your strengths and playing your own game. I think it is all about innovation, smart thinking and a clear mind. All these things play a crucial part. And even if I don’t play for the country, any cricket I play, Hussey says to enjoy the game and try to do the best whichever team I you play for. He (Hussey) plays every match like it is his last so that is something that I have learnt from him. 

Do you also take inspiration from him the way his international career unfolded after a relatively late debut?

Yes, definitely! I take a lot of inspiration from him. He also played late for the country but played really well. He went on to play seven-eight years of international cricket, brilliantly. So I definitely look up to him and I actually idolise him. 

PWI too have some very good batters and a team that has very little to lose can be a dangerous. So what were your plans against them?

That is one danger always. The teams that don’t have much to lose they just come and can go berserk but today we just wanted to keep things simple with our bowling but it was like a roller-coaster for the first six overs. It was a little crazy. But I think our fielding was tremendous. Fielding brought us back into the game. Suresh Raina and Albie Morkel effected run outs. Whenever we have looked for breaks our fielding pulled it up and got us the breaks. I think that is a big plus with our side. I don’t think you can find any weak fielder on the ground so that is something we work hard on as well. 

How does it feel to be once again comfortably placed at the top of points table and just one or two wins away from a place in the final four?

We have made it to the top-four but we want to be in the top two if not top one. We don’t want to take it easy. We want to keep the momentum going. This tournament is all about the momentum and we want to keep it going. The next thing will be to end up in the top two where you get two shots at getting the final. That would be the aim for us and definitely keeping the momentum going is very important as well. 


SOURCE: iplt20.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story behind Yusuf Pathan jersey No. '999'

Rohit Sharma 264 Runs - Report: India vs Sri Lanka, 4th ODI, Eden Gardens, Kolkata

INDIA v PAKISTAN 1ST ODI ᴴᴰ FULL HIGHLIGHTS, CHENNAI, 30 DEC 2012