I’m fit to play first Test: Warner | Australia Tour India 2013


David-Warner-IND-vs-AUS
David Warner has put an end to the speculation regarding his availability for the first Test of the 2013 Border-Gavaskar Trophy. The Australian opening batsman declared that the crack on his left thumb has healed enough for him to play in the Chennai Test.

“I’m very confident of playing,” Warner said on Tuesday. “I’ve had four very long days of training. I’ve been hitting the ball for an hour each session just to get the feel of the ball hitting my hand and am trying to put myself under a bit of fatigue to see if I feel any pain as I go on.

“It’s now coming to the end of the third week and it’s still pretty sore. I caught some balls today at 50 per cent and felt no pain at all,” Warner said.

Warner explained the exact form of his injury and admitted that any stressful movement could lead to a near-permanent damage. He, however, assured that all the precautions have been taken to protect the damaged joint and ensure a smooth healing process.

“I’ve got a crack in the joint. When the joint moves on the corner of the crack in the healing process it can get aggravated. You might not have the normal range of movement in that joint for a long time,” he explained.

“The precautionary measures that we’ve taken are putting it in the splinter and a bit of mobility stuff in the last couple of weeks. It’s painful but it’s a process that I am ready to go through to be able to play the first Test,” Warner said.

When asked if he was ready to risk further damage to the thumb by playing in the Test, Warner insisted he was hundred per-cent fit to take the field.

“If it’s a proper injury where I cannot bat, field and catch, I’ll say I can’t play. If I’m not in the position to give my 100 per-cent, I won’t play. In the last couple of days I’ve felt that I can perform at my best without getting affected by it. It will be painful but I can go through a bit of pain to play for my country.

“I’ve got a good splinter to use which protects the thumb while I’m in the field or out batting. At this present time I’m a hundred per-cent ready to go,” he said.

Australian skipper, Michael Clarke, too echoed Warner’s views and was optimistic about having his dangerous opening batsman in the line-up come Feb 22.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story behind Yusuf Pathan jersey No. '999'

Rohit Sharma 264 Runs - Report: India vs Sri Lanka, 4th ODI, Eden Gardens, Kolkata

INDIA v PAKISTAN 1ST ODI ᴴᴰ FULL HIGHLIGHTS, CHENNAI, 30 DEC 2012